Prince Philip is doing “a lot better” as he fights infection and “looking forward to getting out” of hospital, according to his son Prince Edward.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was admitted last week to hospital after feeling unwell. The Earl of Wessex has told Sky News “we keep our fingers crossed.”
His words came as Buckingham Palace released an update confirming Queen Elizabeth II‘s husband is fighting off an infection and is responding to treatment, but will need several more days in hospital.
A statement released today read: “The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection.
“He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.”
Prince Edward told Sky News: “As far as I’m aware, well I did speak to him the other day, so he’s a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing.
“So we keep our fingers crossed.”
The duke was taken to King Edward VII Hospital by private car on Tuesday last week on the advice of his doctor after he reported feeling unwell.
Today was his eight day of treatment and his son revealed he is becoming frustrated, though he appreciates messages of support.
Asked if he was frustrated, Prince Edward said: “Just a bit! I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.”
He added: “We’ve had some brilliant and lovely messages from all sorts of people and we really appreciate that and so does he, I’ve been passing them on. It’s fantastic, thank you.”
The Queen is patron of the King Edward VII and it is the hospital the prince has been to for many of his recent bouts of treatment.
In ten years, he has been admitted to hospital eight times, often for infections as well as for surgery.
Conditions are described in luxurious detail on the hospital website, with slow roast sirloin and tiger prawns on the sample menu.
Buckingham Palace last week confirmed the duke did not have coronavirus but said he had gone to hospital as a precaution.
Quoted in The Metro, he added: “‘They’re keeping an eye on him.”